What would you like to accomplish in 2022?
Some people have a clear answer to this question. These people have mastered the skill of active goal setting. They set goals and crush them each time.
This article is not for such people.
This article is for people like you and me. People who struggle with setting and achieving our goals.
In this post, we’ll go through 33 examples of goals you can set for 2022. You’ll also learn how to develop and crush these goals, therefore making 2022 your best year.
Here’s what you’ll learn
Let’s get right into it.
Areas of Your Life Where You Should Set Goals
When coming up with new year’s resolutions, it’s recommended that you set goals for the following areas of your life.
Career and Business
To progress in your career or grow your business, you need to know what you want and what you’ll do to achieve this.
Maybe you want to be a senior partner at your workplace, or perhaps you have your sight set on entrepreneurship. Or maybe you want to take a one-year sabbatical and pursue your passion.
By setting clear goals for 2022 you’re one step closer to achieving your career dream.
Family and Relationships
I don’t know if you’re like me, but family is the most important thing.
Which is why it’s essential to set family and relationship goals when coming up with new year’s resolutions
Maybe you want to spend more time with your kids or spouse. Or perhaps you’re looking to maintain a strong relationship with your parents.
Setting family and relationship goals for 2022 will surely help you achieve these.
This is perhaps one of the most popular aspects of life when it comes to setting goals.
Everyone wants to achieve financial freedom.
Maybe you want to be able to afford your sabbatical as you pursue your passion. Or perhaps, you want to live debt-free or retire early.
By setting your financial goals, you’ll be one step closer to achieving financial freedom.
Health and Fitness
Health and fitness is another aspect of life where most people set goals.
For some, it’s losing weight, while for others, it’s gaining weight.
Whatever your health and fitness desire is, it’s essential to set clear and measurable goals to keep you focused and motivated.
The spiritual aspect of life is perhaps one of the most neglected when it comes to setting goals.
However, it’s essential to set goals to help you grow spiritually.
Whether you’re looking to become more grateful or want to achieve a state of inner peace in the new year, setting goals for these dreams will help you to move closer towards their achievement.
If you want to remain in a state of continuous growth, it’s crucial to develop a lifelong learning culture in any aspect of your life.
Which is where educational goals come in. Educational goals help you to expand your future.
Whatever aspect of your life you want to improve, having clear goals in 2022 on the skills and proficiencies you’d like to learn will come in handy.
Essential Guidelines to Setting Goals
Even before we get into examples of goals, it’s vital first to learn the basics of goals setting.
When you sit down to set goals for 2022, consider the following steps:
Think About Your Lifetime Goals
What is it you want to achieve in your life? What do you want your legacy to be?
Although most people have an idea of how they’d want their lives to turn out, very few know how to get there.
Thinking about your long-term vision allows you to know what goals need to be set for the different aspects of your life.
Make Your Goals Smart
After coming up with your lifetime goal, you should then break it into smaller achievable chunks.
These smaller goals need to be SMART.
For every aspect of your life that you set goals, make sure that these plans are:
- Specific, clear, and well defined
- Attainable and realistic
- Relevant to your lifelong goals
- Timebound/have deadlines.
Write Them Down
If you want to achieve your goals, you should make a point of writing them down.
Committing your goals to paper and the steps required to achieve this goal will help you remain accountable.
When writing your goals, frame them in a positive statement, as this improves your retention and motivation rate.
You should also frame the goals in a place where they’re visible. Having a constant reminder of your dreams will help you to remain motivated.
Create Milestones and Track Progress
Most people give up on their dreams because they feel that their goals are too big and overwhelming.
However, that shouldn’t be the case.
Dividing your goals into small achievable milestones allows for it to feel more attainable. These little milestones also act as a source of motivation — with each completed milestone, you become more motivated to work on your goals.
It’s also essential to develop a way to track each of your goals. By tracking, you’ll be able to know whether you’re progressing or not.
Think About the Why
If you want to remain motivated as you work towards your goals, it’s vital to think about the “why.“
Why do you want to achieve that goal?
Self-growth experts explain that having a concrete reason for working on a specific goal allows you to remain motivated despite any challenges and setbacks.
33 Goals for 2022
Here are some examples of goals you can set for yourself to make 2022 your best year.
- Make $400 monthly payments to my credit card debt until it’s fully paid.
- Allocate at least $6000 annually to pay off student debt.
- Ask for a raise at work by June 30
- Learn a new skill by May 30
- Build up an emergency fund with at least four months worth of expenses.
- Increase investment savings to at least 20% of monthly income.
- Read at least one book every month.
- Volunteer at least once a month
- Build a fitness routine
- Loose at least 16lbs. by March
- Sign up for a marathon (5K, 10K or half marathon)
- Include vegetables in all dinner meals.
- Limit junk food intake to twice a week.
- Cook at least five meals a week.
- Wake up at 6 am for at least five days a week. (Don’t snooze)
- Meditate for at least 10 minutes every day
- Write in a gratitude journal at the end of Sunday.
- Get at least 8 hours of sleep every day. (sleep by 10 pm.)
- Take a one-hour walk every day.
- Disconnect from tech for one hour every day.
- Start a side hustle that brings in $1000 per Month by September 30. 2022.
- Reach out to two distant family members at least once a month.
- Call parents every Sunday evening.
- Spend at least 1.5 hours a day with kids.
- Have one date night with the spouse once a week.
- Remodel my home by July 31
- Declutter one room per Month until done.
- Buy a new home by the end of the year.
- Practice more active listening in meetings and when with friends.
- Travel somewhere new during winter break
- Join a club.
- Participate and complete a 30-day challenge
- Have at least one “me day” a month.
Let’s take a more in-depth look at these goals.
What Are Some Good Goals to Set?
Not all goals are created equal. Some goals take up more weight when compared to others. Some examples of such plans include:
Allocate at least $6000 annually to pay off student debt.
Student loans can derail your life, which is why you should make paying off such loans a priority.
This is a good goal since it drives you to set other minor goals to achieve this. For example, while wanting to get out of debt, you may need to read several books on debts and finances. You’ll also need to set the goal of having a monthly budget to ensure you reach your target loan repayment amount.
Build up Emergency Fund to At least four months Expenses.
If there’s one thing that 2021 has taught us is that anything can happen.
This is why building an emergency fund is an excellent goal for 2022. By starting to build your emergency fund, you’ll handle unforeseen life events better than most.
Sign-Up for a Marathon (5k, 10k, half or full marathon)
Maybe you’ve previously tried to lose weight but have failed.
This is why signing up for a marathon is such a good goal. By signing up for a marathon, you’ll be forced to train for it. This includes having daily jogs and walks, which in turn results in improved fitness and better health.
Participate and complete a 30-Day Challenge
This is perhaps the best way to learn and create new habits.
It’s said that it takes 21 days to make a habit stick. Participating in several 30-day challenges will allow you to build new habits. An example of a challenge can include “read at least for 30 minutes for 30 days.”
What Are Some Good Monthly Goals?
For you to crush your yearly goals, you’ll need to come up with monthly goals. An example of such goals include:
Declutter One Room per Month Until House is Free of Clutter
Your yearly goal could be remodeling your house.
To do this, you may need to throw away some items. Setting a goal to declutter at least one room per month allows you to take the first steps towards remodeling your home.
Have at least one “Me Day “Per Month
We get caught up taking care of other people and forget to take care of ourselves. Which is why you should set a monthly goal to have a “me day.”
By setting such a goal, you’ll save up and plan for your special day alone.
Make $400 Monthly Payments to My Credit Card Debt Until its Fully Paid.
Debt stagnates your life.
Therefore, you should set a monthly goal to put some money aside to pay high-interest debts such as credit cards. Developing such an intent will drive you to come up with a monthly budget to ensure you have enough money to pay off your credit card debt.
What are The Most Common Goals for 2022?
Some of the goals in the above list are quite common. These are goals you can set together with friends and keep each other accountable. Some of the most common goals that Americans have include
- Get out of debt
- Buy a home
- Remodel at least one room in the house
- Learn something new
- Exercise more
- Lose weight
- Volunteer more often
What are the five smart goals for 2022?
One of the most frequently mentioned tips when setting goals is to make them SMART. In the list below, we’ll look at several examples of smart goals.
Loose at least 16lbs. by March 31, 2022
Losing 16lbs is a pretty tall task. However, based on the health benefits you’ll get from losing this much weight, this is worth pursuing. Making this a smart goal will allow you to remain accountable and give you a better chance of achieving it.
Here’s a breakdown of this as a smart goal:
- Specific: You’re aiming to lose a certain amount of weight
- Measurable: You have a minimum value to meet (16lbs)
- Achievable: Although it will require you to put in some extra effort, this goal is highly achievable.
- Relevant: Losing weight equals a healthier and better lifestyle. If you have a goal to live a long healthy life, this goal is super relevant to your life long goals.
- Timebound: You have a set deadline to achieve this goal (March 31, 2022)
Learn a New Skill (e.g. Coaching) by May 30, 2022
Learning a new skill is one of the ways to ensure you remain relevant in the job market. Whether you want to ask for a raise at work or want to start a side hustle, learning a new skill will go a long way in helping you achieve these goals.
Here’s a breakdown of this goal:
- Specific: You want to learn a new skill (e.g. coaching)
- Measurable: Proficiency in different coaching methodologies will illustrate you’ve acquired this new skill.
- Achievable: Although you may have to sacrifice some time to learn this skill, it’s still viable.
- Relevant: This goal is appropriate, especially if you have a larger goal to increase your income and achieve financial independence.
- Timebound: You already have a set date by which you should have mastered this new skill (May 30, 2022)
Run a Marathon in October 2022 (5k, 10K or half)
Signing up and committing to run for a marathon is another goal that will significantly help you improve your health. Here’s a breakdown of this goal:
- Specific: You want to run a marathon. It could be a 5k, 10k, or half marathon.
- Measurable: You can set monthly running targets to help you assess your progress towards achieving this goal. You also have a minimum distance you’d want to run by October 2022.
- Achievable: Completing a marathon requires endurance and training. However, you can build strength and endurance to complete a marathon.
- Relevant: If you have a lifetime goal to be healthy, or are looking to lose weight, signing up and running a marathon will help you achieve these goals.
- Timebound: You want to be able to run a marathon by October 2022.
Write a Book by March 31, 2022
Is being a best-selling author one of your lifetime goals? Setting a goal to have a completed book by March 2022 will help you move closer to this lifelong goal.. Here’s how you could break down this goal
- Specific: You want to write a book
- Measurable: Your book will need to have a minimum number of words. This could be 50,000 words
- Achievable: Writing 50,000 words is a daunting task. However. It’s possible. By pushing yourself to write a thousand words a day, you’ll achieve this goal even before your set deadline.
- Relevant: Setting a goal to write a book will allow you to move closer to your target of being a best-selling author.
- Timebound: You have a set deadline to complete this task (March 31 2022)
Start a side hustle that brings in $1000 per Month by September 30. 2022.
One of the ways to achieve financial independence is by creating multiple sources of income. A side hustle will allow you to earn more and move closer to financial freedom.
Here’s a breakdown of this smart goal:
- Specific: You want to create a way to earn more (side hustle)
- Measurable: You want a side hustle that gives you a minimum of $1000 per month.
- Achievable: Starting a side hustle while maintaining a job will require you to put in extra time. However, with consistency, this goal is attainable.
- Relevant: Maybe you want to pay off your debts. Or maybe you want an extra income — the goal to set up a side hustle is pertinent to helping you achieve this larger intent..
- Timebound: You have a specific deadline to have built a side hustle (September 30 2022).
Any Further Questions
There you go.
A complete guide to setting your goals for 2022. Now you don’t have an excuse not to set your goals for 2022.
However, if you still find it hard to set up goals, please ask any questions in the comments below.
I’ll try to answer every question to the best of my ability.