If you’re looking for a list of inspirational unsupportive family quotes, you’re in the right place.
It can be tough to continue with your life mission, when your family members are actively discouraging you.
In my role as a certified life coach, I have worked with plenty of people in that situation and have found that it helps to realize you’re not the only person in that situation.
This mammoth list of motivational quotes will hopefully help you realise that is the case, and allow you to keep making steps towards your dream life.
Let’s dive right into it.
What Are Good Family Quotes?
- “Your job is most definitely NOT to please everyone or to be understood by everyone. – TheDailyPositive.com
- “I told my kids when they were little, ‘Look, kids, your mother and I are screwing you up somehow. We don’t understand how, or we wouldn’t do it. But we’re parents.” – Pat Conroy
- “A person struggling for someone because of the unsupportive family has greater value than a person with a supportive family.”
- “You must live life for yourself – not for other people.” – TheDailyPositive.com
- “Make sure everybody in your “boat” is rowing and not drilling holes when you’re not looking. Know your circle.”
- “The ones who say you can’t or you won’t are probably the most scared that you will.” – Unsupportive Family Quotes
- “Surround yourself with people that reflect who you want to be and how you want to feel, energies are contagious.” – Rachel Wolchin
- “Don’t worry about the family that ignores and acts like you don’t matter, love the ones who are always there for you no matter what.”
- “Stand for what is right, even if it means standing alone.” – Unsupportive Family Quotes
- “Why do grandparents and grandchildren get along so well? They have the same enemy.”
- “The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other’s life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.”
- “Most people don’t listen with the intent to understand. They listen with the intent to reply.” – Stephen Covey
- “Letting go of toxic people in your life is a big step in loving yourself.” – Hussein Nishah
- “Never let the lack of support deter your mission.” – Unkown
- “Only I can change my life, No-one can do it for me.”- Unsupportive Family Quotes
- “I didn’t want my parents to support me. I wanted to prove I could do it by myself.” Linda Vester
- “The secret of a happy home life is that members of the family learn to give and receive love.”
- “Shoutout to people who grew up with emotionally unsupportive parents and have to hear other people talk about how supportive their families are while you’re basically guiding yourself through life. You’re strong and brave.”
- “Rarely do members of the same family grow up under the same roof.”- Richard Bach
- “Some of the most poisonous people come disguised as friends and family.” – Unknown
- “If you’re going home to an unsupportive family this holiday season, remember that your worth is not defined by what they say or how they treat you.” – Unsupportive Family Quotes
- “I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people that make you feel all alone.” – Robin Williams
- “Too many of us are not living our dreams, because we are living our fears.” – Unknown
- “The most merciful thing that a family does to one of its infant members is to kill it. ”- Margaret Sanger
- “Unhealthy families discourage individual expression.” Susan Forward
- “We don’t like what we don’t know or understand.” – Amy Jo Martin
- “Everyone needs a house to live in, but a supportive family is what builds a home.”- Anthony Liccione
- “The one’s who say ‘you can’t’ and ‘you won’t’ are probably the ones scared that “you will.”
- “Train yourself to be fueled by laughter and unsupportive people.” – Unsupportive Family Quotes
- “Family is supposed to be our safe haven. Very often, it’s the place where we find the deepest heartache.” – Iyanla Vanzant
- “Throughout life you will find those people who are selfish, hateful, and inconsiderate. You can’t change people but you can change how much they are a part of your life.”
- “Inter-caste love…boycotted by family…unsupportive friends…cathechist society…uncertain future…even when all circumstances were against them, they decided to stay together and support each other at their worst.”
- “I’d rather be happy being myself, than sad trying to please everyone.” J Cole
- “No-one will believe in you, until you believe in you. – Robin Sharma
- “Learn to use the criticism as fuel and you will never run out of energy.” Orrin Woodward
- “Sometimes you have to move on without certain people. If they’re meant to be in your life, they’ll catch up.” – Mandy Hale
- “A big shout out to all the kids who grew up in an unsupportive family while they hear about another supportive family around them: You have a life worth living, you are strong and brave.”
- “I do it because I can. I can because I want to. I want to because you said I can’t.” Eminem
- “A wise man makes his own decisions. An ignorant man follows the public opinion.” Chinese Proverb
- “To be a champion, you must believe in yourself when no-one else will.” – Sugar Ray Robinson
- “People inspire you or they drain you. Pick them wisely.” – Hans F Hansen
- “All the people who knock me down inspire me to be better.”
- “Some people have so little going on in their lives, they would rather discuss yours.” – Unsupportive Family Quotes
- “Believe me, the reward is no so great without the struggle – Wilma Rudolph
- “There is no room for unsupportive friends and family, only space for positivity.”
- “The more you love your decisions, the less you need others to love them.” – Unknown
- “You have to believe in yourself when no-one else does.” – Serena Williams
- “I feel that the greatest gift that I can give my children is the freedom to be who they are.” Will Smith
- “You can love them, forgive them, want good things for them…but still move on without them.” – Mandy Hale
- “Be who you want to be and not care about what others think.” Andrew Biersack
- “Family is supposed to be there for you no matter what comes your way. Shame on the ones who are not, that’s not family is all about.” – Unknown
- “One loyal friend is worth ten thousand relatives.” – Euripedes
- “Family isn’t always blood. It’s the people in your life who want you in theirs. The ones who accept you for who you are” – Unknown
- “You need to stop doing things for someone when you find out it’s expected rather than appreciated.” – Unknown
- “I’m going for it. Every part of my body says to jump and fly, no matter how hard voices like Shay and my parents try to ground me. I understand their realism, but I don’t want to look back and regret not taking the plunge.” – Krista Richie
- I cannot have no success, unless when I finally make it, I get to remind all the haters who sh*tted on me when I’m on my way up.” – Eminem
- “It’s okay that you have an unsupportive family…It’s okay to feel at the bottom…But it’s not okay to decide to end your life…Because…Nobody can break you unless you break yourself…There might be many important events that you might miss…You might not have been made feel special at all…But it’s fine…The truth is you’re perfect.”
- “No matter how good you are, someone is always going to be against you. But never let them be the limit of your success.” Terry Mark
- “Being genetically related doesn’t make you family. Love, support, trust, sacrifice, honesty, protection, acceptance, security, compromise, gratitude, respect, and loyalty are what makes your family.” – Unsupportive Family Quotes
- “I’ve learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you’ll miss them when they’re gone from your life.”- Maya Angelou
- “There is only one voice to truly listen to. That voice lies within you. Everything else is noise.” – TheDailyPositive.com
How Do You Deal With Unsupportive Families?
If there’s one message these sayings are all preaching, it’s that you shouldn’t give into unsupportive family and friends. They are the bad ones, not you.
Your self-esteem, mental health and overall happiness will suffer if you give into what they want.
It’s never wrong to create boundaries for what you accept from those around you, and to hold everyone accountable to these standards, even family/friends.
As bad it may sound, if someone continues to disrespect your boundaries, the most healthy thing to do is to walk away from the relationship.
Any More Questions About Unsupportive Family Members?
I hope you found this list of inspirational quotes useful. If you did, save it in your bookmarks in case you need future words of inspiration. Share this collection of sayings with a friend who is dealing with an unsupportive family too.
The truth is: it can hurt when your mother or father don’t support you, but there are plenty of famous and successful people who have dealt with this situation.
If you have any questions related to this topic or would like to share your feelings about unsupportive parents, feel free to leave a comment below.
It would be great to hear from you.