Read on for my full list of the 101 best effort relationship quotes.
In my role as a life coach, I am often helping clients improve their romantic relationships, as well as professional and personal ones. Of course, putting effort into these relationships is always key.
That’s why I’m excited to share this list with you.
So, let’s dive in.
Effort In Relationship Quotes
- “Patient and persistent attitude will move mountains.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
- “People talk about ‘service, effort, love, knowledge’. But with knowledge you know what love is, and what it is not. Love is the extra effort we make in our dealings with those whom we do not like and once you understand that, you understand all.” – Quentin Crisp
- “We don’t learn to love each other well in the easy moments. Anyone is good company at a cocktail party. But love is born when we misunderstand one another and make it right, when we cry in the kitchen, when we show up uninvited with magazines and granola bars, in an effort to say, I love you.” – Shauna Niequist
- “Without equanimity, we might give love to others only in an effort to bridge the inevitable and healthy space that always exists between two people.” – Sharon Salzberg
- “What was it called, that symbol of the serpent eating its own tail? It probably signified infinity, endlessness, timelessness. But for me it would mean the effort to love well going on and on, round and round, always imperfect and always forgivable. The best we could ever do for each other.” – Patricia Gaffney
- “There is no better life than a life spent laboring at love – exerting effort not because we have to, but because we believe that what we are bringing into being is valuable and we want it to exist. Yet because our culture tends to misunderstand the nature of labor and of love, we undervalue both.” – Moira Weigel
- “What will seduce a person is the effort we expend on their behalf, showing how much we care, how much they are worth. Leaving things to chance is a recipe for disaster, and reveals that we do not take love and romance very seriously.” – Robert Greene
- “Constancy in love is a good thing; but it means nothing, and is nothing, without constancy in every kind of effort.” – Charles Dickens
- “Truth and effort may increase human worth. But they are not enough to make us whole; Only love can complete us.” – Ilchi Lee
- “Love is our highest word and the synonym for God.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Loving is effortless.. while relationships, they require your time and patience… the two things we all lack..” – Unkown
- “You may not be able to help whom you are attracted to, but you can choose to whom you love and how. That is to say that love is a commitment that your heart and your mind make. It is an active and ever-evolving process, a conscious choice that takes effort and maintenance.” – Niecy Nash
- “Life turns out to be the best for those who give their best effort whatever they do and enjoy the abundance of life with love and gratitude.” – Debasish Mridha
- “Human kindness has no reward. You should give to others in every way you see. expect absolutely nothing from anyone. It should be your goal to love every human you encounter. All human suffering that you’re aware of and continues without your effort to stop it becomes your crime.” – Louis C.K
- “You are capable of loving the unlovable. The grace of God gives you the power to love.
- “It also takes conscious effort and decision to choose to love.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
- “Love is a seed that has to be watered with effort and consistency. Lack thereof will cause the fire that once existed between two souls to burn out.” – Pierre Alex Jeanty
- “Keep the faculty of effort alive in you by a little gratuitous exercise every day.” – William James
- “God is limitless in his love, and asks that we at least make the effort to be limitless in ours.” – Marianne Williamson
- “I’m definitely a romantic, I don’t think life is really worth all the pain and effort and struggling if you don’t have someone that you love very much.” Chet Baker
- “Everything one does is just another effort to be understood by someone a little bit more.” Vatsal Surti
- “Love includes fellowship in suffering, in joy and in effort.” – Albert Schweitzer
- “But you don’t get the girl until you’ve gotten the girl. And even then you have to put in the effort every single day to keep her. You don’t win before you’ve won. You keep playing, and fighting for love every day.” – Lauren Blakely
- “Do you really love me? means: Will you accept me in the process? Will you embrace what is different about me and applaud my efforts to become? Can I just be human? Strong and vibrant some days, weak and frail on others?” – Angela Thomas
- “Love was never enough, not without mutual respect and a great deal of drudgery and effort.” – Penny Reid
- “We expect professional and financial success to require time and effort. Why do we take success in our relationships for granted? Why should we expect harmony to come naturally just because we are in love?” – Eknath Easwaran
- “The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.” – David Foster Wallace
- “Love is not really a mystery. It is a process like anything else. A process that requires trust, effort, focus and commitment by two willing partners.” – Elizabeth Bourgeret
- “It is not those who commit the least faults who are the most holy, but those who have the greatest courage, the greatest generosity, the greatest love, who make the boldest efforts to overcome themselves, and are not immediately apprehensive about tripping.” – Saint Francis De Sales
- “Relationships take time and effort; they’re not always like the fairytale they start off as. – Neha Yazmin
- “Life and love generate effort, but effort will not generate them.” – Alan Watts
- “Genetics doesn’t ensure love, or even like, time and effort do.” – Kim Holden
- “If you find that you have no love but desire to have it, do the works of love and the Lord will see your desire and effort and put love in your heart.” – Ambrose Of Optina
- “Love is a lot like flowers. With enough effort and time, it can blossom into something beautiful and unforgettable. But with neglect and dispassion, it can die and be lost forever.” – Jocelyn Sanchez
- “Your family and your love must be cultivated like a garden. Time, effort, and imagination must be summoned constantly to keep any relationship flourishing and growing.” – Jim Rohn
- “Through [my friends] I discovered what it was to love people. There was an art to it … which was not really all that different from the love that is necessary in the making of art. It required the effort of always seeing them for themselves and not as I wished them to be.” – Lucy Grealy
- “Hate is infectious, but so is love, the difference between the two is one takes effort and the other one doesn’t.” – Dave Guerrero
- “There is only one situation I can think of in which men and women make an effort to read better than they usually do. It is when they are in love and reading a love letter.” – Mortimer Adler
- “You should not be hovering in the background, inflating the drama. Simply envelop him in love and affection and let him know that you will support his efforts, whatever they are.” – Amy Dickinson
- “Love is what is left in a relationship after all the selfishness is taken out.” – Nick Richardson
- “Happiness can be measured by how much effort you gave and how much it has paid off then.” – Unknown
- “Without putting in some effort, everything that you do will just be some futile thing, my dear.” – Unknown
- “Finding your soul mate isn’t the hard part; staying together is.” – Neha Yazmin
- “To make any relationship work, it just takes a tremendous amount of effort and accepting of one another.” –Rebecca Romijn
- “In today’s world, options are everywhere. It takes a great effort to stay faithful, continue to honor your commitment, and do the work it takes to keep your relationship strong.” – Jane Greer
- “And the truth is that there is some satisfaction when you figure out that your effort worked out.”
- “No relationship works without making an effort. That goes without saying. But you should never overcompensate.” – Sonam Kapoor
- “All relationships have one law. Never make the one you love feel alone, especially when you’re there.” – Unknown
- “It’s a beautiful feeling when you know that someone is making an effort just to make you smile.” – Unknown
- “If you put the time and effort into a relationship, it will last forever.” –Moses Gazman Mukhansi
- “All relationships go through hell, real relationships get through it.” – Unknown
Equal Effort Quotes
- “No man on earth is perfect, but when he shows the effort in keeping you happy, acknowledge it!” – Unknown
- “In the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.” – Paul McCartney
- “Let’s not forget it’s you and me vs the problem. Not you vs. me.” – Steve Maraboli
- “Relationships are worth fighting for, but you can’t be the only one fighting.”
- “Far too many people are looking for the right person, instead of trying to be the right person.” – Gloria Steinem
- “If someone believes you are worth the effort they will make the effort.” –Kevin Darné
- “If the feelings are mutual, the effort will be equal.” – Unknown
- “In the end there doesn’t have to be anyone who understands you. There just has to be someone who wants to.” – Robert Breault
One-Sided Effort Relationship Quotes
- “A real relationship is two-way.” Sophie Kinsella
- “Love is a two-way street constantly under construction.” – Caroll Bryant
- “Relationships are a two-way street, not a highway and a bike path.” – Vince Vaughn
- “A true relationship is two imperfect people refusing to give up on each other.” – Unknown
- “Effort is a two way thing. If someone wanted to put in effort, they would, so there’s no point chasing.” – Unknown.
No Effort Relationship Quotes
- “Always remember someone’s a direct reflection of their interest in you.” – Unknown
- “Stop putting in an effort into those who show no effort towards you. There’s only so much you can do before you’re wasting your energy and time.” – Unknown
- “People stand in front of an officiant and say ‘I do’ but that shouldn’t mean ‘I’m done’ when it comes to putting time and effort to grow their relationship.” – Beth Ehemann
- “In a relationship, no amount of extra effort on your part can make up for a lack of effort on theirs.” – John Mark Green
- “You can put all your effort in trying to make someone happy… but there comes a time when we become tired of trying to fill a bucket that is leaking from the inside.” – Steve Maraboli
- “It is weird to see how people sometimes doesn’t value and ignore the love and effort of the people who love them and try to stay. They push them away only to realise everything they did after they leave and make their memories as pillows to sleep over and cry upon it later.” – Akshay Vasu
- “No matter how much effort you put in, some people just won’t appreciate it.” – Unknown
- “Don’t expect a man will try any harder to keep you than he did to get you.” – Angela N. Blount
- “If someone really wanted you, they’d actually put some effort into trying to get your attention and make sacrifices for you. They wouldn’t just tell you they want you; they would show you in every little way possible that they want you.” – Unknown
- “People put so much effort into starting a relationship and so little effort into ending one.” Marina Abramovic
- “Most relationships fail not because of the absence of love. Love is always present. It’s just that one loves too much and the other loves too little.” – Unknown
How Do You Build A Strong Relationship Quotes
- “Happily ever after is not a fairytale. It’s a choice.” – Fawn Weaver
- “Relationships fail because people take their own insecurities and try and twist them into their partner’s flaws.” – Baylor Barbee
- “Being in a relationship isn’t about the kissing, the dates, or the showing off. It’s about being with someone who makes you happy in a way that no one else can.” – Unknown
- “Be with someone who won’t stay mad at you, who can’t stand not talking to you, and who’s afraid of losing you.” – Drake
- “I like not only to be loved, but also to be told that I am loved. I am not sure that you are of the same mind. But the realm of silence is large enough beyond the grave. – George Eliot
- “Assumptions are the termites of relationships” – Henry Winkler
“Do Your Best” Effort Quotes
- “Happiness is a choice that requires effort at times.” – Aeschylus
- “Ideas don’t work for people unwilling to do the work.” – Robin Sharma
- “Enthusiasm is the mother of effort, and without it nothing great was ever achieved.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “And in putting effort, you double the value of the things that you do, it is going to be okay too.” – Unknown
- “If you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.” – Larry Bird
- “A little more effort, and what seemed hopeless failure may turn into a glorious success.” – Elbert Hubbard
- “Hard work isn’t what you think it is. It’s more about love…” – Michael Crews
- “Make every effort matter, and always make the following effort better than the last one.” – Hermann J Steinherr
- “Effort is only effort when it begins to hurt.” – José Ortega
- “Success is dependent on effort.” – Sophocles
- “If you put forth the effort, good things will be bestowed upon you.” – Michael Jordan
Which Is The Best Relationship Quotes
- “A good marriage is one where each partner secretly suspects they got the better deal.” – Unknown
- “Remember: life is a crazy ride, its a privilege to go through it with a partner.” – Kristen Bell
- “It’s important to marry somebody who is your equal, and to marry somebody and to be with somebody who wants you to win as much as you want them to win.” — Michelle Obama
- “Truth is: everybody is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for.” – Bob Marley
- “The relationship of husband and wife should be one of closest friends.” – B.R Ambedkar
- “The strongest love is the love that can demonstrate its fragility.” – Paulo Coehlo
- “A great relationship is about two things. First, appreciating the similarities, and second, respecting the differences.” – Unknown
- “If you let her know that she is your priority and remind her from time to time how much you in fact care, you’ll be amazed at how many problems disappear in your relationship.” – Unknown
What Are The 5 Most Important Things In A Relationship Quotes
- “5 Rules Of A Relationship: “Stay faithful, make them feel wanted, respect your partner, don’t flirt with others, make time.” – Unknown
Frequently Asked Questions About Putting Effort Into Relationships
Let’s round off this list with the answers to some frequently asked questions about putting effort into relationships.
Are Relationships Effort?
A new relationship may feel effortless. In the beginning, it’s usually carried by the butterflies and excitement of the honeymoon period. Efforts aren’t needed. If you’re in a relationship like this, these effort quotes might be confusing you. Good for you!
However, when you’ve spent so many years together, when you’re building a life together, when you’re building a family together, it becomes easy to take your love for granted. You may begin putting other priorities ahead of your relationship. These are the times when you need to be putting conscious efforts into your relationship.
What Is Efforts In Love?
The efforts in love surround making your partner feel loved, making time for them, patching things up when you upset them, compromising.
It’s a continuous effort that should last for your whole life. When one person feels the other is putting in less effort than them, that’s when a great relationship can begin to break down.
How Much Effort Should I Be Putting Into A Relationship?
Like with everything, the more effort you put in, the more likely you’ll succeed. If two people both put maximum effort into loving the other person, how could the relationship fail?
In reality, a relationship is a two-way thing. It begins to break down when one person believes the other isn’t putting in enough effort, and that this person doesn’t deserve their efforts to love them. There are few worse feelings in a relationship. This is when feelings get hurt, for sure.
Yes, you can talk about putting effort into your relationship without creating conflict. But, keeping score does nothing to bring joy and happiness to your relationship. It’ll only make things worse.
Instead, why not focus on loving them even more?
It takes great courage to give love that might be unrequitted, but in doing so you boost the odds of your lover giving more to you in the future.
So, perhaps you’re wrong to ask: “how much effort to put in a relationship?”
Maybe, instead you can look for every little way possible to make this special person feel even more loved, and trust them to think the same way. When both partners commit to this mindset, nothing in the world can stop them from enjoying the best feelings throughout their relationship.
This could be the beginning of something beautiful.
What Is The Most Romantic Saying?
You may have been moved by all of these quotes/sayings, but the truth is: romance doesn’t come from the words you say, it comes from the love behind them.
So, when you talk to the person you love, speak from the heart. Don’t overthink or filter yourself.
This is how you’ll find the words to blow them away. The words that will surely live on in their heart forever.
What Makes For A Successful Relationship?
Effort. Trust. Compromise. Sacrifice. Communication. Respect. These are the pillars of a great relationship.
Any More Questions About Putting Effort Into A Relationship?
Thanks for reading my list. If you liked it, you might enjoy this list of Highly Inspiring Vision Board Quotes too.
I maintain a great hope that you can make your dream of true love into a reality. You deserve it!
Don’t forget you can leave a comment in the box below. Tell me: which of the effort quotes was your favorite? There are no wrong answers!
It only takes a moment to comment and it would mean the world for me to hear your thoughts.
Related Articles: More Quote Articles