Welcome to my ultimate list of cutting friends off quotes.
This list will teach you all you need to know about cutting negative people out of your life.
In my role as a life coach, I am often helping clients better understand what’s best for themselves and those around them.
That’s why I’m excited to share this list of the best cutting people from your life quotes.
Let’s dive in.
What Does Cutting A Friend Off Mean?
It means to not allow a former friend to be part of your life anymore.
When Should You Cut Someone Off?
Your mental health should come first. If someone is a net negative for your mental health, ask them to stop the harmful behavior. If it doesn’t stop, cut them off.
When You Cut Off Someone From Your Life Quotes
I’ve divided this list of the best cutting people off quotes into four categories. Please do share your favorites with me in the comments below.
Famous Cutting People Off Quotes
Here are the best cutting people off quotes by well-known public figures.
- “Let go of negative people. They only show up to share complaints, problems, disastrous stories, fear, and judgment on others.” – Dalai Lama
- “I will not allow anyone to walk in my mind with dirty feet.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “If you are brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello.” – Paulo Coehlo
- “Your time and energy are precious. You get to choose how you use it. You teach people how to treat you by choosing what you will and won’t accept.” – Anna Taylor
- “Stop letting people who do so little for you control so much of your mind, feelings, and emotions.” – Will Smith
- “Nothing has transformed my life more than realizing that it’s a waste of time to evaluate my worthiness by weighing the reaction of the people in the stands.” – Brené Brown
- “Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.” – Mark Twain
- “We would do ourselves a tremendous favor by letting go of the people who poison our spirit.” – Dr. Steve Maraboli
- “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
- “It’s okay to cut ties with toxic friends and family you’ve got to prioritize your own well-being.” – Brenden Dilley
- “Some people take your energy and put you in a negative place. Sometimes you just have to walk away if this is a regular occurrence.”- Rachael Malloy
- “Weeding out the harmful influences should become the norm, not the exception.” – Carlos Wallace
- “Some people are a part of your history, but not a part of your destiny.” – Steve Maraboli
- “Deciding to finally cut ties with the people in your life who consistently hurt you isn’t enough; you must also decide to cut ties with the version of yourself who allowed that shit to continue for as long as it did.” – Cici B
- “Surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who do not.” – Jose N Harris
- “One of the hardest decisions you’ll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder. – Ziad K. Abdelnour
- “You don’t have to feel guilty for cutting them off. It was the right thing to do. And believe me, if it were the other way around. They would have done the same thing too. Choose you, always you.” – R.M Drake
- “An entire sea of water can’t sink a ship unless it gets inside the ship. Similarly, the negativity of the world can’t put you down unless you allow it to get inside you.” – Goi Nasu
- My encouragement: delete the energy vampires from your life, clean out all complexity, build a team around you that frees you to fly, – Robin Sharma
- With courage, we can weed out narcissistic people. We can focus on those who do appreciate us, love us, and treat us with respect.” – Dana Arcuri
- Toxic people create unnecessary complexity, strife, and, worst of all, stress.” Travis Bradberry
- I’ve had to cut people that I love out of my life or distance myself from ‘friends’ not because I don’t love them but because they were causing unnecessary stress in my life.” – Nadine Barnes
- There comes a time when you have no choice but to cut off in order to respect yourself and live in harmony.” – Sandra Barbir
- “Avoid negative people, for they are the greatest destroyers of self-confidence and self-esteem.”– Auliq Ice
- “You don’t lose friends because real friends can never be lost. You lose people masquerading as friends, and you’re better for it.” – Mandy Hale
- “Cutting someone completely off from your life is sometimes necessary for your peace. Don’t feel guilty about it.” – Trent Shelton
- “There comes a time in your life when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it.” – Jose N Harris
- “The moment you feel like you have to prove your worth to someone is the moment to absolutely and utterly walk away.” – Alysia Harris
- “Sometimes we just have to cut off the dead branches in our life. Sometimes that’s the only way we can keep the tree alive. It’s hard and it hurts, but it’s what’s best.” – Nicole Williams
- “After all these pointless fights, wasted days, mental breakdowns, broken promises, and mendacious beliefs, I think I’m better off alone.” – James Andrew Crosby
- “People inspire you or they drain you. Pick them wisely.” – Hans F. Hansen
- “I think that I’ve done more than enough talking and trying to make things work with certain people. I am done!” – Cici. B
- “I’m so proud of myself for every single decision I’ve made this year. From cutting people off to changing my priorities.” – Jade Hillary
- “You don’t let go of a bad relationship because you stop caring about them. You let go because you start caring about yourself.” – Charles Orlando
- “I have found the best way to deal with a toxic person is to not respond in any other way than a monotone voice and a businesslike manner.” Jen Grice
- “Like arsenic, toxic people will slowly kill you. They kill your positive spirit and play with your mind and emotions. The only cure is to let them go.” – Denisse Lisseth
- “The less you respond to negative people, the more powerful your life will become.” – Robert E. Baine, Jr.
- ”At some point you have to realize that some people can stay in your heart but not in your life.” – Sandi Lynn
- “As you remove toxic people from your life, you free up space and emotional energy for positive, healthy relationships.” – John Mark Green
- “Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.” – Deborah Reber
- “You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy. So let them go, let go of them. I tie no weights to my ankles.” – C. JoyBell C.
- “Stay a light year away from people who make you feel less about yourself.” – Mohith Agadi
Useful Cutting People Off Quotes
Here are some of the best cutting people off quotes I found to be somewhat useful. A lot of these quotes aren’t attributed to anyone in particular.
- “Your time is too valuable to waste it with people who don’t have a dream. People that aren’t going anywhere.” – Joel Osteen
- “Forgiveness is a personal process that doesn’t depend on us having direct contact with the people who have hurt us.” – Sharon Salzberg
- “You can never win an argument with a negative person. They only hear what suits them and listen only to respond.”
- “Sometimes you just have to accept the fact that some people only enter your life as a temporary happiness.”
- “People who would want you around will understand your worth. And those who, won’t, you don’t need to run after them to make them realise.”
- “Cut people from your life that honestly wouldn’t contribute to anyone’s life. It will be an opportunity for both you and them to grow.”
- “People who always tend to be negative don’t have much to themselves but negativity and complaints. Move away from them and lead a happy life.”
- “It’s rare for a toxic person to change their behavior. More often, the only thing that varies is their target and the blame they place.” – Steve Maraboli
- “I found peace of mind when I walked away from small fights not worth fighting.” – Dana Arcuri
- “If you attach to the negative behavior of others it brings you down to their level.” – Guru Singh
- “If you walked away from a toxic, negative, abusive, one-sided, dead-end low vibrational relationship or friendship — you won.” – Lalah Delia
- “If you attach to the negative behavior of others it brings you down to their level.” – Guru Singh
- “Real love moves freely in both directions. Don’t waste your time on anything else.” – Cheryl Strayed
- “Remember… whoever is trying to bring you down is already below you.” – Ziad K. Abdelnour
Short Cutting People Off Quotes
Here are the best cutting people off quotes that are short and to the point. Again, the majority of these quotes weren’t attributed to anyone in particular.
- “I no longer sit at tables where I might be the topic when I get up.”
- “While you can’t control someone’s negative behavior, you can control how long you participate in it.”
- “Cutting people out of your life doesn’t mean you hate them, it simply means you respect yourself. Not everyone is meant to stay.”
- “Learning to ignore certain people is one of the greatest paths to inner peace. Life gets easier when you delete those who make it difficult.”
- “We do not walk away to teach people a lesson, we walk away because we finally learned ours.”
- “Sometimes you have to make tough decisions for your own good, to not allow more harm to come to yourself and to finally be able to grow from your potential self to your best self.”
- “Cut off fake people for real reasons, not real people for fake reasons.”
- “Don’t be afraid of losing someone who doesn’t feel lucky to have you.”
- “Never beg anyone to create space for you in their life because if they knew your worth, they would surely create one for you on their own.”
- “Life is short. Don’t waste it with negative people who don’t appreciate you. Keep them in your heart but keep them out of your life.”
- “Certain people you have to cut off; it’s nothing personal. Their part in your story is over and you have to move on.”
- “Cutting toxic people off doesn’t make you a bad person, selfish, or weak. Cutting toxic people off means you value your integrity over what other people think about you.”
- “It’s not easy to detach from people you’ve had close ties with, but sometimes it’s necessary in order to restore your sanity. Your mind peace.”
- “Maturity is learning to walk away from people and situations that threaten your peace of mind, self-respect, values, morals, or self-worth.”
- “Do not allow negative people to turn you into one of them.”
- “Stay away from people who make you feel you are hard to love.”
- “If I cut you off, chances are, you handed me the scissors.”
- “If you’re not losing friends, then you’re not growing up.”
- “I don’t have time to make people understand my worth. Either you recognize it and treat me right or be cut off.”
- “Losing someone you love isn’t easy, but losing yourself is worse.”
- “If someone shows you their true colors, don’t try to repaint them.”
- “When you learn how much you’re worth, you’ll stop giving people discounts.”
- “Learn to surround yourself with people who make you better, not bitter.”
- “Give yourself permission to immediately walk away from anything that gives you bad vibes.”
- “You never know how toxic something is until you breathe fresher air.”
- “Never chase love, affection, or attention. If it isn’t given freely by another person, it isn’t worth having.”
- “The people you allow into your life are contagious, choose wisely, cut quickly.”
- “People who are negative are either lonely, broke or bored. Better to cut them off.”
- “Listen to positive people and ignore negative ones. People who doubt, judge, and disrespect you are not worth your time and attention.”
- “Make sure everybody in your boat is rowing and not drilling holes when you’re not looking.”
- “Before, I used to be afraid of being alone. Now, I’m afraid of having the wrong people as company.”
- “Sometimes the journey has to be traveled alone in order to appreciate the strengths that lie deep inside you.”
- “Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution.”
- “Over time, you start noticing that some people just aren’t worth it anymore.”
Funny And Witty Cutting People Off Quotes
Finally, here are some of the best cutting people off quotes that made me giggle.
- “Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
- “If somebody is looking for a bin to throw all their trash into, make sure it’s not in your mind.” – Dalai Lama
- “Toxic people will pollute everything around them. Don’t hesitate. Fumigate.” – Mandy Hale
- “You create more space in your life when you turn your excess baggage to garbage.” – Chinonye J. Chidolue
- “Don’t let negative and toxic people rent space in your head. Raise the rent and kick them out.” – Robert Tew
- “When it’s over, leave. Don’t continue watering a dead flower.”
- “I have no problem with cutting people off…less bullshit for me to deal with.”
- “Some people create their own storms and then get mad when it rains.”
- “It’s so nice when toxic people stop talking to you. It’s like the trash took itself out.”
- “Keeping bad company is like being in a germ-infested area. You never know what you’ll catch.” – Frank Sonnenberg
What To Say When You’re Cutting Someone Off?
It’s often recommended to be honest about why you’re cutting people out of your life.
However, many people in this list of cutting people off quotes suggest you don’t owe them an explanation.
That might well be true.
Indeed, many toxic and negative people don’t take constructive feedback well anyway.
Perhaps you’ll choose to sit down and explain why you’re cutting people out of your life. Maybe you’ll leave without explanation. There’s certainly less bullshit with the latter option.
Cut People Out Of Your Life
There’s not much adbic I need to add to this list of quotes about cutting people out of your life.
As you can see, many people agree that cutting people from your life is sometimes necessary. Cutting negative people creates a net positive for your self-esteem and your life, even if it is sometimes difficult.
Not everyone will be happy, but cutting people out of your life isn’t rude. It’s necessary for your peace and simply means you respect yourself.
Sometimes, you’ll need to cut off a family member if you start noticing they’re a negative person who creates a toxic environment around them.
There’s arguably no better self-care exercise than removing negative people from your world. So, when negative people are draining you, recognize it and treat them accordingly.
Thanks for reading my list of the best cutting people off quotes.
If you have any questions or would like to add your own quotes about cutting people off, feel free to leave a comment below.
It would be great to hear from you.